Monday, February 28, 2011

Mexican Superstitions

Typically I'm a regular at the dry cleaners with all my work clothes and the fact that I don't iron, however lately, I haven't been going as much. I did have a silk ruffle tank that needed to be cleaned so I headed to the dry cleaners last Saturday morning.

Since I'm a regular (rather, was), I'm on a first name basis with the owner, a lovely Mexican lady named Marie. Occasionally she has her 2 year old daughter, Carla, there with her. When I went in Marie and Carla were both happy to see me. Marie rubbed my belly and Carla gave me a big hug. Yes, I guess I have a special, or rather strange relationship with my dry cleaners.

Marie proceeds to tell Carla to rub my belly because there are babies in there. Carla bashfully snuggles her head into her mom's legs and backs away. Marie tried again and Carla wouldn't touch my belly.

Okay, I'm thinking, I guess most children would probably do the same. I asked Marie if Carla normally touches pregnancy bellies and she said only sometimes. She said its a Mexican superstition that if a child won't touch a pregnant woman's belly its because the baby in the belly is the opposite sex of the child.

Therefore, based on Mexican superstitions and the 2 year old daughter of my dry cleaner owner, I guess I'm having boys.

The more technical determination will happen Wednesday at my anatomy scan, but I couldn't help but share this bizarre little story.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so so excited to find out what these babies are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting! I don't always believe them, but I'm so interested in hearing what others think my baby is based off of old wives tales and cultural superstitions...it's all so interesting to me! Can't wait until Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is def a Mexican superstition. My paternal side says the same thing, lol. I have to really start keeping score to see if it's true or not :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see your post on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I am Mexican and yes they do believe this is true.

    ReplyDelete